Breakfast is my downfall.
I don’t like the texture of porridge, I don’t drink milk and I don’t like the smoothness of yogurt.
I don’t particularly like savoury breakfasts, maybe once in a while. My idea of a good breakfast involves sugar and some kind of baked good, if possible. Cake and coffee make me happy. So do pancakes. And sugary cereal. And let’s not forget croissants and pains au chocolat, after all, I do live in Belgium and have to walk by several places with lovely fresh-baked yumminess in the air.
They all make me happy, but are not that healthy. And I’m always looking for ways to be more healthy. Aren’t we all?
So I’ve been experimenting with breakfast muffins. Now, the first thing I learned is that including a banana does not make it good for you. Too bad. I could be eating Nigella’s Chocolate Banana Muffins for breakfast all the time.
Here are a few recipes that I’ve tried recently. The first two are sweet and the third is savory. The sweet ones were devoured by the whole family, including my 3-year-old, who wasn’t capable of having just one. The savory ones were just for me, I think the cottage cheese scares people off!
- These Oatmeal Banana Breakfast Muffins were AMAZING. Seriously good. They have no flour, no butter and no oil so you can feel very virtuous indeed!
- These 5-minute Paleo Muffins were good. Not amazing, but good. They are based on nut butter so are high-protein and kept me going for quite a while. And the best part is that I really did whip them up in 5 minutes.
- These Cottage Cheese Muffins from 101 Cookbooks, which has got to be one of the best food blogs out there. Very tasty.
And here are the next ones on my to-try list:
- These Toddler Muffins with banana, carrot and squash in them. I suppose I could share them with my son.
- These Quinoa Muffins from Martha Stewart. I really, really hope they’re good, I’d love to use quinoa in this way!
- These Coconut Flour Banana Muffins – because I have so. much. coconut flour and I really need to start using it up.
- This Clean Banana Bread – not a muffin, but banana bread is always good in my book.
Do you have a sweet-but-healthy recipe to share? Or is this kind of breakfast really not your thing?
This post will be linked to Weekend Cooking over at Beth Fish Reads. Make sure you visit and check out the other recipes and foodie thoughts!